Salads don’t have to look and taste boring. Pep up your salad game with this super simple recipe.
For the most part, we’ve all had the opportunity to try quinoa, and if you haven’t we highly recommend it. This ancient grain is tiny in size but hearty in flavor and nutritional power. It’s everywhere, often seen as a substitute for rice or pasta. We love the versatility of quinoa; from veggie burgers to salads, it’s one of those grains that can find a home in practically any dish. We’ve been using quinoa more and more, and especially love it in salads, so we couldn’t wait to try this Asian quinoa salad. It’s light and crunchy, with plenty of fresh veggies, and the quinoa adds heartiness. We serve this salad as a main dish for a healthy meat-free dinner, but we also like to add grilled chicken or even salmon. Serve this up as a side dish too, and it pairs well with almost any Asian-inspired dressing, like our simple ginger-soy combination. Best of all, it only takes half an hour to get it on the table.
Asian Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup edamame, shelled and cooked (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions, and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Whisk sesame oil, soy sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Stir in ginger, garlic powder, honey and optional red pepper flakes. Mix until well blended, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage blend, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, cilantro, quinoa, and edamame (if using). Drizzle dressing over top and toss to combine. Top with sesame seeds, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas And Their Pod