What is pork belly, you might ask? Its name says it all: a cut of meat from the belly of a pig. What the name doesn’t tell you – but definitely alludes to – is that this is a cut of meat that is going to be extra rich and delicious. It’s become quite popular these days – not that it ever wasn’t, but it seems that nowadays we’re seeing it on more restaurant menus, and not just at fancy restaurants. Pork belly is fairly simple to prepare and something that is sure to impress at a dinner party or any special occasion.
You’re definitely going to be a fan of pork belly. It’s a wonderful cut of pork that is about as luxurious and decadent as meat can get. Pork belly is already rich due to its high percentage of fat, but to make it even more amazing, we add a generous amount of salt and pepper, brown sugar, and a few dried herbs. We score the meat on a bias, then give the meat a good rub with our seasoning mixture. It roasts in the oven, taking on all those delicious flavors and beautiful color as well. Once it’s had some time to cool, the meat is ready to cut, and it will be beyond tender and delicious.
Pork belly is something truly magical, and since we don’t get to have it that often it has become an extra special treat. Counterbalance the meat with something light on the side, like a crisp salad or steamed vegetable, but the real star of the show will be this beautiful cut of savory pork belly. We love the slightly sweet-salty-peppery flavor in each and every bite, and the herbs really add a wonderful depth of flavor too. One bite will have you conviced that you’re eating something so extravagant and lovely!
Crispy Roast Pork Belly
Serves 4-6; 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 pound pork belly
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried herb mix (dried basil, thyme, rosemary)
- Score skin of pork belly with a sharp knife, taking care to not cut too deeply into the meat. Season with salt, black pepper, sugar, and dried herbs. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set a wire rack on top of the baking sheet. Place pork belly on top of wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place tray into oven and roast pork belly for 25-30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°F. Continue roasting for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil. Rest pork belly for 25-30 minutes.
- Carve meat and serve.
Recipe adapted from Simply Delicious Food.