Even mushroom haters will want to give this a try!
There’s nothing like a piping hot bowl of delicious soup to warm you up on a cold evening. If you’re looking for a hearty, creamy soup to fill you up, then you’re in luck. This Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup will surely hit the spot!
This dish has all the warmth and tastiness you know and love from classic chicken and wild rice soup, with some added flavors and of course, mushrooms!
My husband never had a mushroom until we got married. He’s still not the biggest fan, but he loves this dish! These mushrooms aren’t slimy in the least, just perfectly seasoned and perfectly cooked!
The secret to delicious mushrooms is all in the prep. Don’t go for the canned or jarred stuff, go ahead and grab fresh mushrooms and slice ’em up. Melt some butter in a large stockpot and add the mushrooms, cooking for 10-15 minutes, or until all of the liquids are cooked out.
Once that’s done, add more butter to the same stockpot so the mushroom flavor is infused throughout the rest of the cooking process. Add onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute.
Next up, stir in chicken broth, rice, chicken, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, place a lid on the pan, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes. Finally, mix in the milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This meal comes together fairly quickly, and the only prep work is chopping veggies and shredding chicken. If you’re looking for a bit of a unique take on the classic chicken and wild rice soup, this is the recipe for you!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Prep 25m Cook 40m
- 1/2 cup butter, separated
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt half of the butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until about 10-15 minutes, or until all of their liquids have been cooked out.
- Melt the remaining butter in the same pan and add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, rice, and chicken. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, place a lid on the pan, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Mix in milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve up hot with some bread or crackers!
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking.