Asparagus season is a short and fleeting time, so it’s best to get in allll the opportunities to eat it while you can. Basic roasted asparagus is really all I ever need (it’s SO good!) but when you’re craving something that’s also creamy and indulgent and just cheesy enough, this Italian Baked Asparagus is the way to go. It’s a simple side dish but it’s one that feels special. (And it’s absolutely scrumptious.)
This is so easy to throw together. You’re not making any fancy sauces or fussing over the stove, the asparagus simply bakes in some cream that you’ve packed with flavor. You just stir together some heavy cream, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and a bit of Pecorino and pour it over the asparagus and let it all bake until the asparagus is tender. Easy, right?
There’s also a nice blanket of mozzarella over the top, so you get some crispy, melty cheese along with the creaminess. The asparagus gets soft, but not mushy and their bright grassy flavor paired with the rich garlic-herb infused cream is honestly just really hard to beat. I love this for both average weeknight dinners and special occasion meals – it always seems to fit the occasion.
Creamy Italian Baked Asparagus
5m prep time
20m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 1 lb asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish (about 7x11-inches).
- Arrange trimmed asparagus evenly in baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Pecorino. Pour over asparagus.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese has melted, cream is bubbly, and asparagus is tender, 18-20 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Will Cook for Smiles.