It’s hard to go wrong with potatoes, but if you’re a worrier, take a deep breath because this dish is always a winner! You don’t have to spend ages (getting tennis elbow) making perfectly mashed potatoes, all you have to do is make the sauce and pop these tots in the oven. This dish is perfect for family or holiday dinners – just be prepared for the requests that will come rolling in for you to make this dish for all upcoming celebrations!
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus butter for greasing baking dish
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Gruyere, grated
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and grease baking dish with butter. Take halved garlic and rub it around the baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt your butter and add in flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. You should have a paste-like sauce.
- Slowly pour in heavy cream and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Take off heat and stir in Gruyere until melted.
- Arrange potatoes in layers in your baking dish, adding salt and pepper between layers. Pour sauce over the potatoes so that they’re evenly covered. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the top is golden and crispy.
Recipe adapted fromAlexandra Cooks