Starbucks Coffee Cake is really something special, thanks to its moist and sweet crumb and extremely generous amount of streusel topping. But it’s a thing you buy a single slice of to accompany your coffee, not something you get to feed a whole crowd with. Until now, anyway. With this copycat recipe, you can share your favorite with all your family and friends (or just have a lot of slices to yourself).
The good news is you can get spot-on flavor here by starting with a box of yellow cake mix. It’s not so much about the cake here, it’s about the streusel and you’ll be making plenty of it.
You beat butter, flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar until it’s a nice and crumbly mixture and then sprinkle it over a half-baked cake.
That way, as it finishes baking the streusel sinks down into the crumb of the cake a bit, while the very top gets a bit of a crisp going on.
It’s heavenly. Moist and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so, and full of cinnamony flavor. You can still head to Starbucks to get that same flavor, but when you want more than a single slice, you can always recreate it in your home kitchen!
Copycat Starbucks Coffee Cake
5m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, chilled
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until center is barely set, about 15 minutes.
- While cake is in oven, prepare crumb topping:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over cake, breaking into marble-sized pieces. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- Let cool, slice, and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Your Home Based Mom.