Classic American Recipe: Fried Chicken And Waffles With Maple Syrup
There’s some debate over where Chicken & Waffles actually comes from; some say from the South, others vehemently reject that notion. It’s possible it originated with southern people after they relocated to other areas, such as Los Angeles. The fact of the matter is, the origins of this tasty and unusual meal are a bit of a mystery.
What’s perhaps most baffling about this dish is the combination of such different food groups. It’s a mix of dinner and breakfast. When people go out at night and get hungry later on (early in the morning), sometimes they want dinner food and sometimes they’re ready for breakfast. Combine the two and you’ve got chicken and waffles!
Chicken And Waffles
- 8 assorted, bone-in pieces of chicken (wings, thighs, drumsticks)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups waffle mix of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- maple syrup, garnish
- butter, garnish
- In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place chicken pieces in a large, Ziploc bag, then pour buttermilk into the bag, seal it and refrigerate for 2-8 hours, or overnight.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salts, paprika, onion powder and pepper in a paper bag and shake well.
- Pour mixture into a shallow bowl or dish and set aside.
- Heat 1-2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet until it reaches 375º F.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and dredge both sides in seasoned flour mixture.
- Carefully drop chicken pieces in frying oil and cook for about 10 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined plate. Cover with aluminum foil.
- To prepare waffles: preheat waffle iron and combine waffle mix with water, vegetable oil, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Once completely incorporated, spoon 1/4 cup of batter into waffle iron and cook according to packaging directions, or until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup, with fried chicken on top.
Recipe adapted from Grandbaby CakesSKM: below-content placeholder