I don’t know about you, but when it comes to salad, I have a tendency to serve the same basic green salad over and over and over again. It’s just a side after all… But this Chopped Thai Chicken Salad is so much more than a side! Full of fresh, vibrant flavor, a little bit of spice, and a salty-sweet peanut dressing that will have you licking the serving spoon, it’s a salad that steals the entire show easily and is so worth changing up your routine for.
This is a salad that is absolutely filling enough to work as a healthy lunch or even a light dinner. It’s a whole lot of crunch, thanks to cabbage, carrots, and peanuts, but the chicken and healthy fats will keep you full until your next meal.
Since everything is chopped finely, you get a medley of all the flavors in every bite. The cabbage is really just a crunchy base, but the Serrano peppers add a kick while the green onion and cilantro round things out with their grassy zing.
All of that crunch and flavor is great (really great!) but what really brings this all together is the dressing. Until now, I don’t think I’ve ever quite succeeded in making a dressing that rivals one at a Thai food restaurant, but this peanut dressing is everything you want it to be. It’s salty and sweet with nutty flavor and the perfect balance of tart lime and subtle spice. It’s great for much more than salad and you should have plenty leftover, so drizzle it on chicken or tofu or dip some veggies into it too.
Chopped Thai Chicken Salad
10m prep time
1 cook time
For the salad:
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 3 red serrano peppers or fresno chiles, sliced
- Lime juice, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- To a large bowl, add chicken, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, peanuts, green onion, and peppers/chiles.
- In a food processor or blender, combine dressing ingredients (peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sriracha, sugar, garlic, and ginger) and pulse until smooth. Add water to thin to desired consistency as needed.
- Pour some of the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and lime juice as needed. Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.