These decadent bars are sure to satisfy even the pickiest sweet tooth. Rich layers of chocolate ganache and silky cheesecake are held together by a vanilla cake crust that has browned to perfection. Excellent treats to make ahead of time, these babies can hold their own at a candle-lit dinner for two or in the center of the table at the next potluck. We can’t help but devour these whenever we make them, so be forewarned!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars
Serves 12-16 45 minutes
- CAKE LAYER:
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE LAYER:
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- To make the cake layer: combine brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl, and stir until smooth.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, then gradually mix into wet ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the cake layer cooks and cools, start on chocolate ganache layer and place chocolate in a medium, heatproof bowl.
- Place cream in small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, then pour over chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes, or until chocolate has softened.
- Add butter and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly, just until it thickens and can still be poured.
- For the cream cheese layer: beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together in a medium bowl or mixer on medium speed, just until smooth.
- Drizzle half of the ganache over cooled cake layer and pour cream cheese mixture on top, carefully spreading it out into an even layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheesecake layer is set, then remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining ganache over the top and place in refrigerator to chill before slicing into bars and serving.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home