You know how there are some foods that you feel a little ashamed by how much you love them? That’s us with hot dogs. Seriously, we know some people hate them and think they’re gross, but that never changes how we feel about them, or the fact that we would take a hot dog any time over tons of other food options. In this case, we think the addition of hot dogs and one other unexpected ingredient really turns this dish into a show-stopping meal you’ll come back to again and again.
We give you: the chili cheese dog bubble up casserole. A mouthful of a name, this dish is an all-in-one dinner that we can’t get enough of. As we mentioned above, it’s got lots of hot dog packed in, along with chili and beans, cheese, and that other unexpected ingredient…biscuits! What makes a bubble up a bubble up is typically the inclusion of refrigerated biscuit dough, either baked into the dish or on top of it.
Here, the biscuits act as a stand-in hot dog bun, but seriously, we’d go for a chili cheese dog biscuit any day now that we know how good it is! We coated our biscuits in herb butter (game changer) and then baked the biscuits on top of the chili cheese dog “filling”…so incredibly yummy!!! If you’re looking for an easy, flavorful, one-and-done meal that will never disappoint, this is definitely the one!
Chili Dog Bubble Up
Serves 6-8 40 minutes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chili with beans
- 8 all-beef hot dogs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (10 oz.) cans refrigerated country biscuits, quartered
- 1 3/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch with non-stick spray.
- Pour chili and beans into your greased baking dish and stir in hot dogs and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Place butter in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until melted.
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley and red pepper, flakes if using.
- Place quartered biscuits in a large bowl, then pour melted butter over the top. Toss until evenly coated.
- Top chili hot dog mixture with buttered biscuits and remaining cheddar cheese, then place in oven.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until biscuits are puffed up and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Life Made Delicious