Chicken with potatoes has got to be one of the best dinners around. This recipe uses sweet potatoes instead of white or yellow potatoes, which means this dish is packed with nutrients. This colorful main also gets a hit of color from the fresh Brussels sprouts and dried cranberries. A sprinkling of sliced almonds on top adds just a little crunch to this delicious (and healthy) dinner.
To make this recipe begin by sautéing 2 chicken breasts (about 2 pounds) in a deep pan like a stock pot. Once they are have reached an internal temperature of 156˚F are beginning to brown remove from the pan. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into cubes.
Set the rice to cook to package directions while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. This recipe calls for a wild rice blend, which adds a lot of color and flavor to the other ingredients.
In the same pan the chicken was cooked in sauté the cook onion, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and garlic. Add in the spices and cook for about 5 minutes. To that add 1/4 cup broth and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes.
In a greased 9″x13″ baking dish add in the cooked rice, chicken, and veggies. Season with salt and pepper and toss with cranberries to combine. We love cranberries but if you’re not a fan then dried blueberries would also be really tasty in this recipe. Pour the rest of the chicken broth over the other ingredients so that everything stays nice and moist. Top with almonds and bake for 15-18 minutes at 350˚F. When it’s ready the almonds on top should be just beginning to brown.
This is a hearty and wholesome meal that only uses 2 pans and is packed with good-for-you ingredients (oh and it actually tastes good, too). We’ve finally found a recipe that ticks all the boxes!
Chicken Sweet Potato Bake
20m prep time
40m cook time
Gluten-Free diet suitable
- 2 Tbsp plus one tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, divided
- 4 cups wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Use 1 teaspoon of olive oil to grease a 9"-x-13" baking dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Prepare rice to package instructions while other ingredients are cooking.
- Heat a large, deep skillet or dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Place chicken breasts in pan and cook for about 8 minutes for each side or until an internal temperature of 165˚F is reached. Allow chicken to rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes, then slice into 1” pieces.
- Using same pan on stovetop add another tablespoon of oil and cook onion, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, garlic, thyme, paprika, and cumin over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/4 cup of the broth and cover. Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice to bottom of casserole pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken, cooked vegetables, and cranberries. Toss lightly to combine. Pour in remaining chicken broth and top with almonds. Bake for 15-18 minutes as almonds are just beginning to toast.
Recipe adapted from Delish.