Here’s a dish that’s practically perfect in every way: roasted or grilled chicken with fresh pico de gallo is about as fresh and delicious as a meal can get. Roasting chicken is, by itself, super easy, and so too is making our own salsa. Sure, grabbing tub of salsa at the grocery store is quick and simple, but nothing beats scratch salsas or pico de gallo. We also love pico de gallo on chips or toasty pita bread – just so many uses! But on grilled chicken, we get the cool crisp veggie flavor, with a little jalapeño heat, atop warm roasted chicken in what has to be one of our favorite weeknight dinners.
We purposefully left cilantro out of our pico this time, but definitely feel free to add it in, and from time to time we’ll use green onions instead of red. Seasoning the chicken is super important; no one wants to eat a bland piece of poultry. A little salt and pepper go a long way, and cumin adds subtle spice and warmth. When we can make food this good in the comfort of own kitchen, and with simple but satisfying ingredients, then that beats going out to a restaurant anytime. Especially now, with spring weather upon us and summer grilling right around the corner, this is a recipe we love to have on hand for a meal that is quick and healthy.
Roasted Chicken With Pico de Gallo
Serves 4; 40 minutes
- For chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pico de Gallo:
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from ½ lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Season both sides of chicken with olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken in greased baking dish or one lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes; chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
- In a bowl, combine diced tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and lime juice. Mix together and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use over chicken.
- Remove chicken from oven and either plate or set on serving dish to rest. Top warm chicken with fresh pico de gallo. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Show Me The Yummy