The combination of chicken and cream sauce is something that can elevate a dinner to new levels of deliciousness. Like a good Alfredo, this chicken parmesan carbonara has the rich and creamy texture that no other type of other sauce can achieve. But, this dish goes one step further with small, delectable pieces of crispy bacon.
Unlike a true carbonara, this sauce gets its thick texture not from eggs, but from the addition of parmesan cheese, whipping cream, and a bit of cornstarch. To make this recipe you start by butterflying two large chicken breasts, disconnecting the halves from each other. Use a meat tenderizer if needed to ensure that that all the chicken pieces are the same thickness.
Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and dredge them in a mixture of flour and parmesan cheese. Once they are prepped then it’s time to fry them for about 4-5 minutes on each side and remove from skillet. In the same pan fry the chopped bacon pieces until crispy and let them drain of fat on paper towels.
Once you remove the fat from the skillet then you being working on the sauce. First in are the onions and garlic which are cooked until the onions turn transparent. Turn the heat down and add in the cream, salt, and pepper and let simmer, stirring often. Add in the parmesan cheese and the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer and stir until the sauce is thickened.
The last steps are to add the bacon pieces to the sauce, followed by the chicken filets. This incredible chicken parmesan carbonara is best served over pasta and shared with family and friends. We could also see this made as delicious open-faced sandwich as well! You really can’t go wrong with so many wonderful flavors together.
Chicken Parmesan Carbonara
serves 4 Prep 25m Cook 20m
For The Chicken:
- 4 chicken breast filets
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For The Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 8 bacon slices, chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed well with 2 teaspoons of cold water
- Make your own filets by butterflying two chicken breasts and then severing the connection point. Season chicken filets with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour and parmesan. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the oil and butter on medium-high. Fry chicken filets until golden (4-5 minutes each side) and remove from pan.
- In the same pan fry the chopped bacon, and remove to a paper towel-lined plate when crispy.
- Drain half the grease in pan. Sauté onions and garlic and reduce heat to low once onions have gone transparent.
- Add cream, salt, and pepper to onions and let simmer, stirring often. Add parmesan cheese and cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce is noticeably thickened.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and coat with sauce. Top each serving with the crispy bacon pieces. Serve over pasta.
Recipe adapted from Cafe Delites.