Meatballs covered in a sour cream sauce sounds like dinner heaven.
Meatballs covered in a sour cream sauce sounds like dinner heaven. Be it a weeknight dinner or hosting a dinner party, this meatball dish is going to please everyone at the table. We take a simple meatball and slather it in the most deliciously creamy sauce, and everything cooks up in one skillet so the end result is one amazing meal with very little to clean up! Our recipe couldn’t be easier and is perfect for new cooks or easy entertaining, so if you fall into either one of those categories, this is just the recipe to try!
One way we keep this dish nice and light is by using ground chicken. Chicken, in general, is rather bland, so seasoning becomes really important. We decided to skip the breadcrumbs and instead use parmesan cheese in our meatball mixture, a little cheese along with fresh onion, garlic, and fresh dill really make for one tasty meatball. As important as seasonings are to the chicken, it’s our sour cream sauce that is the real star of the show. It strikes the right balance of flavor and texture and helps to keep the chicken meatballs perfectly moist and delicious. And it certainly doesn’t hurt that we’ve added shredded mozzarella and smoky paprika atop each meatball!
Since there’s dill in the meatballs, we’ve saved some to use as a garnish and a nice pop of bright green to the finished meal. You can serve this right from the skillet to keep things simple for a weeknight meal, and it makes quite an impression on guests at a dinner party. Oh, this is just so darn good – I’m drooling at just the thought of it. I mean, who can resist a savory meatball smothered in a delicious cream sauce?!? Give this sour cream chicken meatball recipe a try this week – you won’t be disappointed.
Chicken Meatballs With Sour Cream Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Mix chicken, parmesan cheese, egg, grated onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped dill, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Measure 1 tablespoon meat for each meatball, making 20-25 meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Sauté meatballs until just brown on one side, 3-4 minutes, then flip and cover pan with a lid to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove meatballs from skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the same pan, over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour until butter and flour become golden in color. Slowly add chicken broth, gently whisking until sauce starts to thicken. Add sour cream, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring meatballs and sauce to a simmer, turning the meatballs occasionally to evenly cook. Just prior to serving, top each meatball with shredded mozzarella cheese and sprinkle 1 teaspoon paprika over top. Garnish with reserved dill and extra black pepper, if desired. Cover for 3-5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve meatballs warm and covered with sauce.
Recipe adapted from Natasha's Kitchen.