Try out this classic comfort food casserole today!
Crispy Chicken and Mashed Potato Casserole. It’s really all right there in the name. If you’re looking for a light, healthy dinner – go ahead and skip this one. If, however, you’re ready to dig into some classic comfort food, then stick around and see how it’s done!
Aside from crispy chicken and potatoes, this casserole contains two different kinds of cheeses, corn, and brown gravy. Separately, these foods are good. But together they are unbeatable.
My favorite part about this meal is how easy it is to throw together. By using instant mashed potatoes, instant gravy, and frozen chicken strips, you truly can have dinner ready in just over half an hour. If you aren’t into the instant stuff, you can definitely swap out instant potatoes for homemade mashed potatoes, and instant gravy for either your own, or gravy from a jar.
The first step is to preheat the oven to 400°. Then let the chicken strips thaw on the counter for a few minutes – just until they are soft enough for you to cut them into bite-sized pieces. Next, spread the potatoes (either instant or homemade) over the bottom of the baking dish, followed by corn, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and finally, the chicken. Bake for 20 minutes, or until your chicken has the perfect amount of crisp.
While the casserole is cooking, go ahead and prepare the gravy. Again, you could go the easy route and grab an instant gravy packet, or even a jar if that’s more your style. If you want to go all out and make your own – more power to you!
Once the casserole is done cooking, simply pour the gravy on top and sprinkle with more cheese and serve warm! This hearty meal makes for great leftovers as well, so don’t feel like you have to wolf down the whole thing. Then again, I certainly wouldn’t judge you if you did. See the full recipe below!
Crispy Chicken and Mashed Potato Casserole
Serves 6-8; 15 minutes prep, 20 minutes cook time
- 5 cups instant mashed potatoes, prepared according to the box (water, butter, milk & salt)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 6 frozen chicken strips
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Let the chicken strips sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes to thaw, then chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Spread potatoes on the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with corn, cheeses, and chicken. Bake for 20 minutes, until the chicken is crisp.
- Prepare the gravy on the stovetop according to package instructions while the casserole finishes baking.
- Drizzle gravy over the casserole dish and serve!
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.