When you think of casserole, ‘low carb’ probably doesn’t come to mind thanks to the ubiquitous potatoes or rice or pasta. But a delicious casserole doesn’t have to be synonymous with starchy comfort and this Chicken Fajita Casserole proves it once and for all. Comforting in its creaminess and cheesiness instead, it’s a quick dinner to throw together but it’s the kind that doesn’t taste like an afterthought. It’s so zesty and full of flavor that it never disappoints.
You start by searing some chicken and then removing it from the pan while you work on the other ingredients.
Onions and bell peppers hop in next and once they’ve softened…
… they’re joined by the chicken, as well as some taco seasoning, sour cream, cream cheese, and green onion.
Once that’s all come together, the top gets a layer of cheese and it heads into the oven to get nice and bubbly.
The taco seasoning makes this zesty but it doesn’t cross the line into spiciness, so it’s a dish the whole family can handle. It’s a casserole that’s abundant in creaminess, cheesiness, and comfort, but not in carbs!
Chicken Fajita Casserole
Serves 4; 5 minutes prep, 25 minutes cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers to skillet and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to skillet and stir in taco seasoning, sour cream, cream cheese, and green onion.
- Top with cheese and bake until bubbly, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, lime wedges, and sour cream and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Seeking Good Eats.