We all know the old mantra “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” But we also know that getting everyone out of the house on time is a challenge, and breakfast is often rushed or skipped entirely. We’ve found a way to speed up the morning routine with this great breakfast cookie recipe. Our cookies have oats, cranberries, and a little chocolate to make it feel like we’re getting away with a dessert for breakfast. Have one with a cup of coffee or as a snack to keep on hand to curb mid-morning munchies.
These whip up so quickly with staple ingredients that we like to keep in our pantry. When we want to make these a little healthier, we replace half of the butter with applesauce, or use 1 cup of coconut oil, then, to add a little protein, we sometimes mix in slivered almonds or chopped walnuts to add a little crunch. These cookies are sure to disappear quickly, so don’t forget to grab one to go!
Chewy Breakfast Cookies
Serves 2-3 dozen 30 minutes
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add in eggs one at a time, then add applesauce and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined.
- Fold in oats, cranberries, and chocolate chips until just incorporated.
- Measure a spoonful of dough per cookie and space evenly on the baking sheet. Then place the baking sheets in the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Coffee With Us 3