Cauliflower currently has the reputation of being the vegetable with the most versatility. (Cauliflower pizza, cauliflower gnocchi, cauliflower rice, anyone?) But zucchini gives it a run for its money in changeability – take these Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks, for instance. They use the summer squash to form a base that might not fool you completely into thinking it’s bread, but it certainly makes a worthy substitute. With these, you get cheesy garlicky indulgent breadsticks without the bread, and without the carbs!
So how do you take a watery summer squash and transform it into something resembling bread? It’s a three-step process, but it’s not complicated in the slightest. You’re first going to grate the zucchini and place it in a colander for ten minutes or so. That gives the liquid a chance to drain out but a final squeeze in a paper towel or kitchen towel really makes sure things won’t end up soggy.
Then you mix the zucchini with a bit of cheese and an egg and spread it out thinly on a parchment-lined baking sheet before you put it in the oven. That dries things out nicely and ensures you have a sturdy base before you put any toppings on. In this case, your only topping is plenty of cheese and once you’ve sprinkled it over the zucchini crust all you have to do is return it to the oven long enough for the cheese to melt.
Then you have a sturdy sliceable, shareable “breadstick” that tastes totally indulgent even if you’re managing to get your veggies in while you partake!
Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
No bread here - just plenty of indulgent cheesy flavor!
Serves 6 ; 5 minutes to prepare, 25 minutes cook time
- 3 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add zucchini to a colander and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, squeeze any excess liquid from the zucchini.
- To a large bowl, add the drained zucchini, 1/3 cup mozzarella, egg, and garlic salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread mixture out on prepared baking sheet and smooth into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick using a rubber spatula.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheeses, reduce oven temperature to 425°F and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- If using, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Mom's Dish.