We love to host family and friends on the weekends to cheer on our favorite football team, and of course, we needed to serve up something yummy. We wanted something different from the usual chips and salsa routine and boy did we really shake things up with this dish! Hearty Portabello mushrooms stuffed with salsa and slathered in melted cheese was just what we were looking for! This isn’t finger food, so be sure to have a few plates and napkins on hand to help manage all of this deliciousness.
We don’t like to get too stuffy with our food at these tailgate parties, but we do love to serve a stuffed mushroom! Portabello mushrooms work well here because of their size, and they’re pretty meaty in texture and substance. Choose whatever kind of salsa suits your tastes, a favorite chunky brand from the store should do the trick. We like to put out a few choices for toppings, like a little hot sauce, sour cream, and a few chopped green onions for added flavor and flair.
Cheesy Salsa Stuffed Mushrooms
30min to prepare serves 4-6
- 6 Portabello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed and chopped
- 3 cups prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded Mexican 3 cheese blend
- Optional: sliced green onions and sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Place mushrooms tops down on baking sheet. Fill each mushroom cap with ½ cup salsa. Top with reserved chopped stems.
- Top each mushroom with a generous amount of cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes until cheese is melted and mushrooms are softened.
Recipe adapted from Su's Healthy Living