Put away the bisquick mix, we’re doing a little something different for these biscuits…
While traditional biscuits hit the spot no matter what, these potato biscuits shocked us and quickly became our new favorites…who knew they could be so flavorful while still being light and fluffy?? Packed with cheddar cheese and green peas, these tasty morsels are the perfect accompaniment to any dinner and you can easily whip them up right before you want to serve them, or freeze them ahead of time for easy entertaining at a later date. We’re always looking for yummy recipes that taste great and are a fun departure from the norm, and these puffy biscuits fit the bill!
Cheesy Potato Biscuits
Yield: 8 biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus 2 tablespoons, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and whisk together.
- Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut in cubed butter until mixture resembles coarse pebbles.
- Mix in mashed potatoes, cheese and peas until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Pour into mashed potato mixture and knead until dough comes together.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Then roll out to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out biscuits, then transfer to a large baking sheet.
- Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter, then bake for 15-17 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted fromRed Shallot KitchenSKM: below-content placeholder