If a crunchy cornflake topping is wrong, we don’t want to be right.
While it ends up being a huge challenge in self-restraint, we absolutely love those dishes that are so addictive and delicious that you feel you need to physically remove yourself from the table; you know that as long as you’re in the vicinity of the food, you’re going to eat the food, which is a problem when you know you’re stuffed, but it just tastes so good! That’s exactly what this cheesy hashbrown casserole is like for us.
It might look a bit like Mormon funeral potatoes at first glance, and we guess there are some similarities to the potluck classic, but trust us, this recipe stands on its own in terms of flavor and delectability. Instead of mashed potato, we went with frozen hashbrowns. Obviously, you can feel free to make your own hash browns, but we’re always really pleased with the ones in our freezer aisle, so we stuck with those.
Using hashbrowns instead of mashed potatoes means you get a little more bite in your casserole. The potatoes are still perfectly cooked, but instead of just being mushy, hashbrowns offer a bit more substance that makes a surprisingly big difference here. Along with the tots, we’ve got plenty of cheese, sour cream (for tang), onion and cream of chicken soup in there. The soup really ties all the ingredients together and thickens everything up, plus it adds flavor that works really nicely here. To top it all off, cornflakes add just the right amount of crunch and keep this dish (fun and) super yummy!
Seriously, this hashbrown casserole has everyone hooked after the first bite. Crunchy, cheesy, chewy, creamy…all the things we want and love in a recipe, so much so that we find ourselves turning the oven on even when it’s stifling out so that we can get this goodness in our belly as soon as possible! It’s too good to pass up, so try it out and see how much you love it!
Serves 8; 1 hour
- 1 (30 oz.) package frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 (8 oz.) package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (frosted or unfrosted) cornflakes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, condensed soup and 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Once incorporated, stir in hash browns, cheddar cheese and onion, and season with salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, stir cornflakes and remaining 1/2 cup melted butter together, then sprinkle over casserole.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Life, Love and Sugar.