There are some flavors that just seem to “go” together and the ingredients of a cheese steak sandwich perfectly compliment each other. The meaty steak strips, the savory onions and peppers, and the stringy cheese are just a match made in heaven.
When it comes to translating that wonderful combination into another format besides just a sandwich this cheese steak fried rice recipe does it perfectly. You end up with a big skillet full of tasty rice that’s hearty, filling and doesn’t require any bread. And aside from the steak you just might have most of the ingredients already on hand to make this tasty meal!
To get started you’ll need to cook your steak strips and then your veggies. Then move the veggies to the edges of the pan while you add the beaten eggs to the center of the skillet to cook.
If you don’t love eggs you can leave them out, but they are traditional to most fried rice recipes and they add some extra protein to your dinner.
Then toss it all together and top with some provolone cheese, just like they do at your favorite sandwich place. While it doesn’t have any bread this recipe does call for soy sauce. If you’re looking to make this 100% gluten-free then omit the soy sauce or use tamari or a gluten-free soy sauce in place of regular.
This is a simple-to-make dinner, but one that will tempt everyone at the table with the delicious aromas of both cheese steak and fried rice. And, it makes great leftovers for lunch, too.
Cheese Steak Fried Rice
15m prep time
34m cook time
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb ribeye or skirt steak, sliced thinly against the grain
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked and cooled rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to large skillet or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add steak to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan along with onion and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then add mushrooms, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Move vegetables to edges of pan and pour eggs in middle. Season veggies and eggs with salt and pepper and stir eggs gently to scramble them until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and beef to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir. Cover and allow cheese to melt for 2 minutes.
Recipe adapted from We Are Not Martha.