To be honest, I really didn’t know what to make of this recipe when I first came across it. While the name “Cheese Dreams” definitely caught my eye, exactly what they were was a little unclear. Thankfully that’s an easy issue to remedy. Off to the test kitchen I went to give this retro dish a try. If you’re equally intrigued then continue reading for the lowdown.
This recipe starts out with a loaf of sturdy white sandwich bread. You don’t want to use a soft or spongey loaf because they won’t hold up as well. I just gave a few loaves a squeeze at the grocery store to find the firmest one. Cut the crust off each slice and then cut it in half one more time.
You’ll then whip up the buttery cheese mixture until it’s nice and smooth. Spread a thick layer of this mixture on half of the bread rectangles and then top them with the remaining bread to form a little sandwich. The final step is spreading the cheese over the sides and top of the assembled sandwiches (but not on the bottoms!). Pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they are golden and toasty.
The final result is a crispy cheese bread that will bring any meal to the next level. Dip them in marinara, enjoy alongside a salad, or dunk them in your favorite soup. For a dish made with such simple ingredients you will be absolutely wowed with the flavor. No one will believe that they were made with white sandwich bread. Give the recipe a try and taste for yourself!
10m prep time
15m cook time
- 1 loaf sturdy white sandwich bread (not soft & spongy)
- 2 ½ cups sharp white cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim crust off of the bread and cut each slice in half down the middle.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and grated cheese. Use a mixture to mix until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spread cheese mixture onto the top of half the bread slices and then place another slice on top to sandwich it. Cover the sides and top of each sandwich with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Arrange sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet so they are not touching.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden in color.
Recipe adapted from Southernliving.com