One of my absolute favorite comfort foods is fried rice. I just love it! When it’s fresh from my favorite restaurant or when I have it as leftovers the next day, a bowl of fried rice is the meal that makes me feel so warm and cozy. I like to find ways to transform some of my beloved indulgences into healthier meals, and that’s when I turn to one of my new favorite short cuts – frozen cauliflower rice. It’s so close to tasting like rice that you may never notice the difference! Here’s how it’s done.
The key to fried rice is a hot pan, and in lieu of a wok, you can get the same wok-like experience with a hot, non-stick pan. I typically use leftover rice for my homemade fried rice, but cauliflower is the star of the show here. I’ve made this with fresh cauliflower, cutting a small head of cauliflower into florets and pulsing it in a food processor. As easy as it is to do that, I’m going for a one-pan meal here and that’s why frozen cauliflower is just ideal. Frozen cauliflower rice is also a great way to sneak a vegetable into an unexpected place.
I grab a large non-stick skillet and start to sauté my cauliflower rice and I’ll also take this time to heat up my frozen peas. For freshness and flavor, I’ve added diced yellow onion and sweet red bell pepper, garlic, and for a little heat, I like to add red pepper flakes. My mouth starts to water as this all comes together! But I’m not done yet. Fried rice also has scrambled egg and I’m not skipping that ingredient in this healthy version of fried rice.
I love this fried rice recipe! It’s quick to make, healthy to eat and it satisfies that comfort food craving. Of course, I’ll never give up my favorite fried rice from my local Chinese restaurant, but I really do enjoy this lightened-up version of the original recipe. Get creative too! You can add fresh slices of green onion and I personally love to add sriracha. It’s fresh and familiar, something that the whole family loves because it’s quick and delicious. Don’t hesitate to give cauliflower fried rice a try!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Serves 4 Prep 10m Cook 15m
- 2 (10 oz) packages frozen cauliflower rice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Sauté frozen cauliflower and peas together for 3-5 minutes until just warmed through.
- Add the bell pepper, yellow onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Spread the rice and veggies to the sides of the skillet, leaving a circle in the center. Add 1tablespoon sesame oil to the center. Pour in the eggs and scramble until cooked. Stir to combine the scrambled eggs with the sautéed vegetables.
- Add ¼ cup soy sauce and stir until incorporated. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with additional soy sauce, as desired.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.