Once you make this for your first summer shindig, we guarantee you’ll make it again!
Potato salad, coleslaw, broccoli salad…all of these dishes pale in comparison to this cauliflower bacon salad, that’s super creamy (without being bad for you) and full of flavor. Cauliflower, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon are all you need to make up the base of this dish – great ingredients – but it’s in the dressing that we inject even more flavor.
We lightened up the dressing, so instead of only using mayonnaise, we swapped in Greek yogurt to add in more protein and to up the creaminess – such a great way to make your salads lighter without compromising on flavor or texture! To the mayo yogurt mixture, we gave it some serious spice, by throwing in cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes; you can adjust this however you like, depending on the crowd you’re cooking for and what their spice tolerance is, just know that it all adds up to make a salad that will knock your socks off. Seriously, our friends beg us to bring this to barbecues and potlucks…and who are we to deny them?!
While we’ll always love potato salad and broccoli salad – really anything creamy that’s got a bit of crunch or bite thrown into the mix – swapping in cauliflower as the main ingredients switches things up and just gives us another reason to love cauliflower. It takes on all the flavors of the dressing, which go perfectly with the bacon and eggs, and is a refreshing change of pace from your typical summer salads. Once you make this for your first summer shindig, we guarantee you’ll make it again!
Cauliflower Bacon Salad
Serves 6-8 20 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning, we used Old Bay
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and Greek yogurt, and season with cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over cauliflower mixture and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Place serving bowl in refrigerator for at least 15-20 minutes, or overnight, giving flavors a chance to build.
Recipe adapted from A Pinch Of Joy