Why didn’t we think of adding these ingredients sooner??
Oh my goodness, this is sweet potato casserole (and not just any sweet potato casserole) is definitely one of our new fall faves, and is absolutely making an appearance at Thanksgiving…and also possibly at Christmas as well. The thing about this dish that elevates it from the usual November/December staple is the topping we’ve added…the salted caramel pretzel topping, that is.
That’s right, what was a wonderfully sweet and autumnal dish just became even more so with the addition of salted caramel sauce and pretzels. Something about the salty sweet combo gets us, along with the great crunch that the pretzels offer, and it turns into a more complete dish that has a little something for everyone. Trust us, it’s impossible to resist this dish!
Caramel Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6-7 large sweet potatoes, roasted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup caramel sauce
- 3/4 cup pretzels (crushed, optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray. Once roasted potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove skins and place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour in milk, brown sugar and butter, and mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (if using) and allspice. Mash together until potatoes are smooth and everything is evenly incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Stir in (crushed) pretzels, then pour mixture over sweet potatoes. Top with an even drizzle of caramel sauce, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from oven, serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from 3 Yummy Tummies