3 ingredients, no-bake, and way better than eating your cornflakes out of a bowl.
You could go ahead and eat your cereal out of a bowl like originally intended, sure. OR, you could take your cereal (cornflakes to be exact) and combine them with two other ingredients to make one seriously irresistible little treat. I think the choice is pretty clear. Butterscotch Cornflake Crunchies may not be a breakfast staple, but they are a simple and lovely treat that works for holiday cookie tins and afternoon snacks alike. There’s no baking involved, you only need three things… there’s nothing stopping you from making them!
Those three things you need are cornflake cereal, butterscotch chips, and peanut butter. That’s it.
And you don’t need your oven. Just stir the peanut butter and butterscotch in a saucepan on the stove until it’s melted and smooth and pour it right over the cornflakes.
Then you just drop them by the spoonful onto a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet. That took, what? Ten minutes? You can mound them up high if you’d like or spread them out flatter, but you definitely want to place them in the fridge to set.
Once they do set, the cornflakes will still be incredibly crunchy but the peanut butter and butterscotch combo will melt in your mouth. It’s a really good thing. Three ingredients, but so much texture and flavor.
I grew up with a really similar treat made out of crispy chow mein noodles (you might know them as haystacks), and these bring me all the same joy.
Whoever first thought to combine peanut butter and butterscotch with something crunchy is a genius. All I know is there’s no other way I’d rather eat my cornflakes.
Butterscotch Cornflake Crunchies
Yields 24 candies
5m prep time
10m cook time
- 1 (11 oz) bag butterscotch morsels
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups cornflake cereal
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butterscotch morsels over low heat. Add peanut butter, stirring well to combine. Continue cooking until peanut butter has melted, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in cornflakes until well coated.
- Drop by the spoonful onto prepared baking sheets. If desired, top with sprinkles. Chill in fridge until set, about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Great Grub Delicious Treats.