If you’ve made any of our other Chewie recipes, then you already know you’re in for a treat! I’d describe them as a combination of brownie texture and buttery cookie flavor. We’ve made a pecan version and a coconut version, but these Butterscotch Chewies might just take the cake. They’re loaded with sweet butterscotch chips and mix together in a matter of minutes. If you’re looking for an easy treat, you’ve found it!
The batter comes together with the typical kitchen staples, then you have the option to mix in some nuts along with the butterscotch chips. I recommend walnuts or cashews for the perfect little crunch. Bake them for about an hour and cover with foil for the last 15 minutes so the top doesn’t brown before the center is cooked through.
The hardest part is waiting for these chewies to fully cool before cutting into them. I know it’s hard, but allowing them to fully set is essential for them to maintain their texture. Whip up this easy dessert for your next special occasion and they’re sure to steal the show.
10m prep time
1h cook time
- 3 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- Optional: ¾ cup chopped walnuts or cashews
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Add brown sugar and melted butter to a large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and mix into wet ingredients.
- Stir in butterscotch chips and nuts until just combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 55-60 minutes, covering with foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Allow Chewies to fully cool before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Thebakingchocolatess.com