If you need me, I’ll be chowing down on two or six of these…
To any of those naysayers complaining about bland chicken all the time, we’ve got the perfect trump card recipe to prove them wrong – buttermilk roasted chicken. Seriously, this stuff is amazingly good, plus, it’s super easy to make! The resulting chicken is flavorful and tender – and it doesn’t hurt that it looks just as good as it tastes. The key here is the buttermilk, since it provides great flavor and we’ve found that the chicken stays moist when we use it. Everything else is icing on top of the cake, with lots of garlic, fresh parsley and rosemary, and honey and sea salt to balance things out with a touch of salty sweetness.
If you’re looking for a great, easy dinner that’s perfect for any occasion, this recipe really is for you. We’ve made it after a long weekday and we’ve made it (just more of it) when we’ve had all our friends over…no one can get enough of it, so we make sure to always make extra! Feel free to tweak the seasoning to your liking, just make sure not to skip the buttermilk brine…it’ll forever change how you cook chicken!
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken
Serves 4-6; 5 minutes active; 2+hours inactive
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- [When ready, preheat oven to 400º F.]
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, olive oil, garlic, parsley, rosemary and honey, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large, resealable plastic bag, then pour buttermilk marinade over the chicken.
- Seal the bag, carefully squeezing out excess air, then move the chicken around to make sure it’s thoroughly coated by buttermilk marinade.
- Refrigerate for 2-48 hours. (The more time it’s in the refrigerator, the more time the flavors have to develop.)
- When ready, transfer chicken and marinade to a large baking dish, then place in preheated oven and roast for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Optional: broil chicken for 5-10 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Julia's Album