While you might usually see buffalo sauce paired with chicken, I can promise you that it’s also the ideal partner to succulent shrimp and this creamy, cheesy, spicy dip proves it unequivocally. With bits of shrimp, plenty of buffalo sauce tucked into a creamy base, and some blue cheese to balance out that spiciness, you could say it’s the be-all-end-all of party dips. (But luckily you ever need to limit yourself to just one dip option!)
As you might have guessed from the name, shrimp is a major component here and you start by sautéing it in some butter
until it’s almost cooked through. It will finish baking in the oven later, so no need to take it all the way to opaque at this point.
The shrimp (and some green onion) is mixed with into a creamy base of cream cheese, mayo, and buffalo hot sauce. Oh, and also two kinds of cheese – cheddar brings the flavor while mozzarella provides optimum meltiness.
But those aren’t the only cheeses involved. There’s also blue cheese that gets crumbled over the top, and we all know that blue cheese is the perfect way to temper some buffalo heat. They just belong together.
The top becomes a cheesy crust while the inside is more of a molten creamy center and it works with whatever you can dream up to dip in it. Celery sticks, any old cracker… with a dip this good, it’s all fair game.
Buffalo Shrimp Dip
Turns out shrimp and buffalo sauce are a match made in heaven.
Serves 8; 10 minutes to prepare, 25 minutes cook time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced and divided
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9-inch square or round baking dish with nonstick spray or butter.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and half of the green onion and cook until shrimp is about halfway done. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and hot sauce until smooth. Stir in cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and shrimp and transfer to baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes, then top with blue cheese and remaining green onion and return to oven for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spicy Southern Kitchen.