Loaf, cake, or quick bread – all that matters is that it’s DELICIOUS.
The nice thing about a quick bread like this is that you can call it a bread or you can call it a cake, or if you’re really not sure where it fits, you can just call it a loaf. In the end, it doesn’t really matter what you call it, all that matters is that it’s a truly delicious thing to slice up and eat any time of day (and it’s easy to make too). With a bright lemon flavor, big gems of juicy blueberry, and a tart but sweet sugared glaze, this loaf works for breakfast, dessert, or for any snacking opportunity in between.
I have always loved the combination of lemon and blueberry – they’re such happy and bright companions – and they work together so well in this bread. This is closer to a quick bread than a pound cake, a little lighter and a little less sugary with a moister crumb. It’s certainly much easier than most baking projects, just a quick one-bowl batter that goes into a loaf pan and bakes up beautifully.
After you mix up the batter, it helps to toss the berries in a bit of flour before you fold them in. It prevents them all from sinking to the bottom and gives you a more even distribution of beautiful blueberries through the whole loaf!
You could technically skip the glaze but I wouldn’t recommend it. It takes about thirty seconds to stir together and gives every bite another nice zing of bright lemon and a little sugary crunch. It kind of takes the whole thing over the top and it’s no trouble at all so go for the whole shebang!
Blueberry Lemon Bread
Yield 1 loaf
15m prep time
1h cook time
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" loaf pan with butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Gradually add milk and stir until just combined.
- Toss blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour. Add to batter and stir to combine gently.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While bread cools, whisk together the glaze ingredients and pour over loaf. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Glorious Treats.