Raise your hand if you’re a die-hard chicken salad lover. (Just us?) There’s something about this picnic classic that we absolutely love, so you know that if there’s chicken salad at a potluck or backyard BBQ we’ll be making a beeline for it. That being said, we thought it was high time we update this dish a bit. Instead of a traditional chicken salad – although still with a lot of the same ingredients as one – we added a pie crust to the mix and threw the whole thing in the oven to bake up to piping hot perfection. Not only that, but it’s perfection topped off with ridged potato chips. Yum.
Are you still with us? It might sound weird to have hot potato salad, but really it’s just creamy, cheesy, crunchy tastiness that had us hooked after the first bite! Apart from taste, we love how easy this dish is to make, and the fact that just one additional ingredient (the pie crust) and the act of baking this completely transforms a staple. We still love a traditional chicken salad, but man, oh man, when you bake it like this, it’s a whole new world of flavor! To save time we used a store-bought pie crust, but if you’ve got a little extra time and patience, you’re more than welcome to make your own. We think it tastes amazing as-is, but really you can’t go wrong either way!
So what say you on this hot baked chicken salad pie? It’s almost as easy as traditional chicken salad, just needing a bit more time to bake, and then you’ve got a savory pie to warm and fill you up. We’re totally hooked and think you should give it a shot and see how you feel…you might not go back to the old version!
Chicken Salad Pie
Serves 6-8; 1 hour
- 1 store-bought refrigerated pie dough or frozen pie crust
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken or celery soup
- 1/2 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup ridged potato chips, slightly crushed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line pie dish with unrolled pie crust.
- In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream and cream of chicken soup, then season with ranch seasoning, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powders, and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold in chicken, celery, bacon and cheddar cheese, then transfer mixture to prepared pie dish.
- Top with potato chips, then place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until mixture is molten and bubbly. Cover with aluminum foil if chips brown too quickly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes