If you’re asking me, Apple Fritters are one of the very best things about fall. Every year my family goes apple picking, and on that trip I never fail to get a fresh, warm Apple Fritter from the farm stand. I might look forward to the fritter more than the apple picking, but can you blame me? Fresh apple flavor with that doughy doughnut bite and delicately crisp sugary glaze… there’s a lot to love. Except that maybe they aren’t right within reach in your home kitchen. But with this recipe, they can be! And you only need your oven and a few simple ingredients to make it happen.
I’m not going to lie to you and say that these perfectly approximate the fresh farm stand Apple Fritter experience. I don’t think there’s anything that can quite replicate that, but these make a pretty great stand-in and they come right out of your own kitchen so you can have them anytime the mood strikes. Thanks to a few baking shortcuts, it’s incredibly easy to make that happen!
Instead of having to deal with a yeast dough, here you rely on a tube of refrigerated biscuits. You cut them up, mix them with cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and chopped apples and press them into mounds to bake. It gets pretty darn close to the texture of an Apple Fritter with barely any work for you.
Of course, an Apple Fritter wouldn’t be an Apple Fritter without the glaze but you can rest assured that that’s included here. You just have to stir together some powdered sugar, water, and vanilla extract and drizzle it over the warm fritters. Job done! And then you get to dig in.
Baked Apple Fritters
Serves 12 Prep 10m Cook 15m
For the fritters:
- 1 (16 oz) tube flaky biscuits
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-6 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spray with cooking spray.
- Separate biscuit dough and cut each biscuit into 10 pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine biscuits, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir until well coated. Add apple and stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture out in 1/4 cup increments onto prepared baking sheet and shape and press each scoop to hold together. Drizzle melted butter over fritters.
- Bake until golden brown, 14-17 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and water. Spoon over fritters, and serve warm. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from I Am Baker.