Forget those sad, semi-wilted leafy greens, we’ve got a way better salad for you today. Asian cucumber salad. Packed with fresh summer veggies and tons of flavor, this salad is ridiculously easy to throw together and so, so much more interesting and tasty than your typical, thrown-together salad mix. Plus, you don’t have to worry about preparing this and having to eat it immediately – this salad only gets better with time, so feel free to throw it together and then leave it in the fridge, giving it time for all the flavors to really blend together.
What makes this dish so yummy are the refreshingly simple ingredients that all work together to create this light, summery salad. Cucumbers, red bell pepper and red onion make up the main part of the recipe, then it’s just a splash of rice wine vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes that make up the bulk of the flavor.
Feel free to add in any other veggies you’ve got in the fridge, but definitely skip the spring green mix – you don’t need it here! Make this as a side salad, or as the main event for a nice, light lunch, just be sure to try it out!
Asian Cucumber Salad
Serves 6; 15 minutes
- 4 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds, to taste
- Whisk together rice wine vinegar, honey, sea salt and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine thinly sliced cucumber, red onion and red pepper, then stir in rice wine vinegar dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Add desired amount of sesame seeds and mix together again, then refrigerate salad for at least 30 minutes, or overnight, before serving.
Recipe adapted from Joyful Healthy Eats