Chicken noodle soup. Is there anything more comforting?? We used to think not, that traditional chicken noodle soup was the best of the best…but we hadn’t tried this version yet. When we were thinking of what to make for dinner last week, we initially were going to make our classic version of this staple, but then we noticed we had a couple things in our pantry that could give this dish some Asian flair. Coconut milk, ramen noodles, fresh ginger, cilantro and soy sauce are just some of the more unusual chicken noodle soup ingredients, and they flavor they add is really something!
So as we mentioned above, we nixed the standard egg noodles and went for ramen noodles instead. We didn’t add the seasoning packet that comes with most packaged ramen, but feel free to throw it in if you want to. Along with the ramen, we added plenty of fresh ingredients that add lots of color and pack a serious flavor punch; bell pepper, carrot, ginger, cilantro and lime are just a few of the things we threw into the mix. In case you think it sounds a little overwhelming, don’t worry, these flavors go together perfectly!
If you want to spice up your dinner routine with something that is comforting, tastes great and that’s packed with nutrients, this is the perfect option. It’s a delightful departure from the traditional soup, so now you have another great go-to anytime you need to warm up and bring your family together. Give it a try and see if you don’t just like it so much it becomes a staple – it’s gonna happen!
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
30 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 (32 oz.) package low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz.) cans coconut milk
- 1 (4.3 oz.) package dry ramen noodles, seasoning packet discarded
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or preferred hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- lime wedges, garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and sauté onion, bell pepper and carrots for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, then stir in curry powder, soy sauce and sriracha.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir in coconut milk, chicken, cilantro, green onions and ramen noodles.
- Cook according to package direction (of the noodles), or until noodles are al dente, then garnish with cilantro or green onions and fresh limes.
- Transfer to serving bowls and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy