Every fall we become pretty obsessed with both pumpkin and pumpkin spice. But, we all know that pumpkin pie isn’t everyone’s favorite dessert. Well, we discovered a recipe that not only has all the fall flavors we love, it also relies on using canned pumpkin, which means this is a wonderful non-pie pumpkin dessert to make if you have some extra cans of pumpkin in the cupboard.
This is an Amish cake recipe, so you know it’s good. Layers of pumpkin filling, cake, and pecans make this a show-stopping dessert. The flavors of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg add so much flavor to this treat not only at the fall and winter holidays, but pretty much all year round. And, it couldn’t be easier to make.
To start this recipe you’ll mix together 1 large can of pumpkin purée with salt and the aforementioned spices, as well as two eggs, brown sugar, and a can of evaporated milk. After you spread the pumpkin mixture into a 9″x13″ pan, you sift a box of yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin, making sure to reach the edges.
Now for the decadent part: over the cake mix you pour a 1/2 cup of melted butter, then top the whole thing with a layer of pecans and bake for 50 minutes. The cake mix layer becomes a like a pudding-cake in the oven, sandwiched between a creamy, custardy layer of pumpkin and the nutty pecans on top.
Once this beauty of a cake comes out of the oven you can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream for a next level dessert. No one needs to know just how incredibly easy this cake is to make.
The creamy, smooth pumpkin and the rich cake, topped with crunchy nuts (that get toasted as it bakes) is a perfect combination that takes pumpkin to a whole new level. You only need a few ingredients and you don’t need to be a pie dough wizard to get this wonderfully rich dessert on the table. It’s a whole new way to enjoy pumpkin!
Amish Pumpkin Pie Cake
15m prep time
50m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 1 29-ounce can pumpkin puree (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 15-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9”x13” baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Add evaporated milk and blend. Pour mixture into pan.
- Sift entire box of cake mix on top of pumpkin batter. Make sure the mix reaches to the edges of the pan. Pour melted butter over the top.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top. Bake for 50 minutes on center rack of oven. Cut into squares to serve. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe adapted from My Patchwork Quilt.