We have many a loaf cake recipe in our collection, and yet we could never have enough. From banana bread, to pumpkin loaf, to pound cake– they’re all easy and delicious. A no-brainer option for a quick treat, any time of day. But one we had seriously been missing out on was an Almond Loaf Cake! I am a big almond fan (almond croissants will always be my first choice at a bakery) and can’t believe my oversight here. When I came across the idea for a citrus almond loaf I knew I had to give it a try. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed.
Almond is too often a secondary flavor in baking (which we could chalk it up to its ability to make just about anything taste even more delicious), so we wanted to make sure it really had the opportunity to shine in this loaf. The lemon and lime zest compliment the nutty flavor perfectly without overpowering and a bit of juice in the batter adds just the right amount of tang. The rest of the ingredient list holds no big surprises, just pantry staples, making this an easy treat to whip up on a whim. We could all use more of those in our recipe collection!
Indulge in a slice for breakfast (no judgment here!), serve it after dinner, or inhale half the loaf the minute it’s cool enough to eat. Just don’t forget about the glaze because it takes the almond flavor to a whole new level of yummy. With its super moist crumb and earthy sweet flavor, it’s bound to be popular with all who try it. If you’re an almond lover then make this dish ASAP, you will not be disappointed!
Almond Citrus Loaf
10m prep time
50m cook time
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a standard loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and lime zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, milk, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lime juice, and almond extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool.
- Mix all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over the cooled cake. Top with slivered almonds.
Recipe adapted from Alattefood.com