The easiest way to get the ultimate fluffy crispy spuds!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes may be the easiest recipe you can create using your air fryer. All you need is half a dozen small to mid-sized Yukon gold potatoes, a little bit of spray oil, and the herbs and spices of your choice to make decadent spuds. You’ll also need a heavy blade, or a weighty coffee cup, to squash them nearly flat!
I’m now at the spud cooking stage where every type but my majestic mashed potatoes get cooked in the air fryer unless I need them for use in a specific role or in a one-pan dish. The air fryer cuts down on unnecessary oil and cooking time considerably (as much as 50%), and I can set and forget them while freeing up my limited space to use on other dishes that need more of my focus. The air fryer potato process is much more efficient and hassle-free, yet the resultant potatoes are crispy, crunchy, and fluffy on the inside.
The key element for a smashing success is, of course, the potatoes that you use. I’m a proponent of the yellow flesh potatoes – Yukon Gold and Golden Creme especially. They squash better, get a nicely crisp skin but stay fluffy and creamy through the middle, and come in smaller sizes than what you may use for other sides. It’s better to use more small spuds, than less big ones. If your potatoes are too big or too thick skinned, they won’t smash well enough to get good results!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are great for snacking, or for use as a traditional side. You can have them in and out of the air fryer in just 20 minutes. This recipe uses a simple pantry herb mix and a topping of sour cream, but just about anything goes, from rosemary and chili mixes to golden Parmesan crusted spuds. Don’t be afraid to innovate with toppings!
Easy Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
5m prep time
20m cook time
- 5-6 Small Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Olive Oil spray, for cooking
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- Optional: 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Kosher Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 400°F. Put potatoes in the air fryer and spray lightly with oil. Cook at 400°F for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix the herbs together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove the whole potatoes from the air fryer. On a flat surface, smash the potatoes by pressing on them with a heavy knife, until they are nearly flat.
- Return flattened potatoes to the air fryer tray. Sprinkle each with herb mix, then cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the skins crisp and the potatoes start to turn a golden color.
- Place the smashed potatoes in a serving dish. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs, some salt and pepper, and top with sour cream. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Air Fryer Everything