Everyone knows how good rice crispy treats are. Not only are they sweet and a bit savory, but they pack a satisfying crunch. Another benefit of rice crispy treats is that they are incredibly easy to make. However, sometimes they can get a bit boring and repetitive. So, we found a way to give these treats a unique twist, and I think you’re going to like what we came up with.
These 4-Ingredient Potato Chip Bars have all the things we love about the original rice crispy treats, only the crunchy cereal is swapped with potato chips. Pour on a layer of melted chocolate chips, and you might not go back to regular rice crispy bars ever again!
Now, you might be skeptical of mixing potato chips with marshmallows and chocolate, but let me just say, the end result will put all doubts to rest. The salt of the potato chips compliments the sweet, sugary marshmallows, and the bittersweet chocolate chips balance out both flavors.
Start by pouring the chips into a big zip lock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin. We used Ruffles, but any plain potato chip will do. Then, melt the butter and stir in the marshmallows, just like you would for rice crispy treats. All that’s left to do is mix in the crushed potato chips and press the mixture into a pan! As it’s cooling, melt chocolate chips and pour on top.
If you’re looking for a unique, easy dessert to serve a crowd, this one is definitely going to be a winner. Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself!
4-Ingredient Potato Chip Bars
Makes 16 bars Prep 15m Cook 10m
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crushed Ruffles (or similar potato chip)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x9 pan. Crush the potato chips with a rolling pin and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, then stir in the marshmallows until everything is smooth and melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the crushed chips.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and let it cool.
- While the bars are cooling, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring each time until smooth. Drizzle the chocolate over the bars and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tammilee Tips.