Whether or not you’re vegetarian, these burgers are great! Obviously not masquerading as real meat, these patties are a great spin on the classic and offer a delicious blend of sweet and spicy flavors that stand out and keep your meal interesting. If you’re looking for more healthy, vegetarian options to introduce to your cooking routine, or if you just want something new, these veggie burgers are an excellent choice!
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 1/4 cups whole oats
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and place them cut side down on a baking sheet. Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Once cool, remove skins from potatoes, chop into pieces and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend oats until they are a fine powder. Remove and set aside.
- Add kidney beans, onion, sweet potatoes, carrots and cilantro, and pulse for 10 seconds. Then add in spices and salt and pepper.
- Add egg and pulse for another 5 seconds, until semi-smooth.
- Slowly pour in ground oats until mixture holds together.
- Divide mixture into 4-6 burger patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, place burger patties in pan and cook each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden and warmed through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate