What’s a better way to start the day than with a fluffy muffin? Packed with bananas, carrots, and a bit of brown sugar for sweetness, these vegan muffins cut the dairy and eggs in favor of almond milk and oats. If you like, you can even top these with chopped walnuts for added crunch though we must admit, they are a treat either way!
Banana Carrot Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl, then add the vanilla and almond milk and mix everything with a fork. Whisk in the brown sugar and mix until no clumps are left.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, and then fold the banana mixture into it in separate parts. Then, gently fold the carrots into the mixture and most of the rolled oats save a few tablespoons for topping.
- Fill muffin cups or lightly greased tins about 3/4 of the way, and then sprinkle with the remaining rolled oats and walnuts.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of a muffin.
Recipe adapted from The Veggielogues