There are some foods that, sure, looking at them you know they’re not exactly health food, but sometimes you just have to let go and indulge a little. Everything in moderation, we say. In this case, we whipped up a big batch of these bacon-stuffed potato skins for a little shindig we were hosting at our house and boy, were they a hit!
This dish is the perfect casual appetizer that is easy to make in large or small quantities and that always tastes great. You can load these up with whatever extras you like, so they’re easy to customize according to preference, and they’re ridiculously yummy. Try these out at the next game day bash, or just try em out for dinner and see how much people love them! You can’t go wrong with these bad boys!
Bacon Stuffed Potato Skins
Yield: 20 servings
- 10 baking potatoes
- 1/4 cups regular or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 strips bacon
- shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 415º F.
- Take a fork and pierce potatoes all over, then place in oven and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the outsides are crispy and the insides are doughy.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes, then cut in half horizontally.
- Scoop out insides of potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Place potato skins on a tray or baking sheet and cover until ready to use.
Note: if preparing ahead of time, just preheat oven again to 415º F when ready.
- Heat olive oil in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat, then add minced shallots and saute until translucent. 2-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sour cream and cheddar cheese into the bowl of potato filling, then stir in shallots and heavy cream. Mix until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potato filling into hollowed out potato skins and return them to baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Crumble bacon into bits and sprinkle over the tops of stuffed potatoes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Comfort Of Cooking