If you ever get tired of the same old chicken dishes or pastas that you ‘ve had in rotation since you first started cooking, this is the perfect recipe to get you out of your rut! Stuffed bell peppers are no new thing, but our beef and veggie stuffed peppers sure are delicious, and they transform your standard dinners into something fun and exciting, since everyone loves a yummy, individualized packed pepper that ‘s just for them.
You can put whatever you want into your peppers, but we like a beef and tomato base (you could also use sloppy joe mix) as a way to kick off the meal. If you ‘ve got leftover rice you want to use up–throw it in! This meal tastes great however you make it and is sure to get your family singing your praises!
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 6 bell peppers, your choice of color, tops cut off and seeds/veins removed
- 2 cups chunky tomato sauce, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking dish with aluminum foil.
- If your peppers don ‘t stand upright, cut a little slice off the bottom so they can balance and poke some small holes in the bottoms so juices can drain.
- In a hot, large pan or skillet, cook seasoned ground beef until evenly browned on all sides. 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, softened and translucent. About 4 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and beef broth, basil and oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and mix until mostly melted.
- Divide mixture evenly into bell peppers and transfer to lined baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
Optional: cook bell pepper tops along with the stuffed peppers.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until peppers are tender and meat is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from For The Love Of Cooking