There are many benefits to creating your own condiments. For one thing, you know exactly what goes in them (no calcium disodium EDTA, and you certainly know what all those ‘natural flavors’ are). Let’s face it, homemade condiments also taste so much better! We wanted to try out hand at making a simple condiment with a kick: sriracha mayonnaise.
This delicious spread basically only requires a few ingredients: mayonnaise, sriracha, and any extra flavoring (I’d recommend some soy sauce and lime juice). Many recipes have you start with pre-made mayonnaise, but we wanted to really start this from scratch. We will be including a great mayonnaise recipe as well. Keep reading below for our recipe…
(makes 4 servings)
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (warm) or other healthy oil
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Put egg yolks into a bowl, blender, or food processor and whisk/blend until smooth.
- add the remaining ingredients except the oils and blend until mixed.
- Slowly add the oil while blending or whisking at low speed, starting with the olive oil. Start with just a drop at a time until it starts to emulsify, then slowly add until all the oil is incorporated.
- Store in the fridge.
- Serve on your favorite sandwich (it tastes really good with roast beef or pastrami) or with french fries.
Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama