Cookies will always be one of our favorite indulgences, but these cookies really take things to the next level. While we normally enjoy our cookies in actual cookie form, these ones are a little bit different…these are chocolate chip cookie BARS. All the things we love about cookies, but packed into a rich, dense, chocolate-buttery bar that makes all the bad things about our day go away.
One of the (many) things that make these bars so great is that we used browned butter to make the dough. If you haven’t cooked with it before, browned butter gives this dough more richness and you can taste a faint toffee flavor that wouldn’t be there if you’d used regular butter. You don’t have to take our word for it, but it really bumps things up a notch. We can’t make you make these cookie bars, but we can strongly, strongly encourage you to – they’re amazing!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Yield: 2 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (mini) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sea salt, garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix together.
- Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt, stirring frequently, until browned. 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let browned butter cool.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together butter and sugars until combined then mix in eggs one at a time.
- Add in vanilla extract, then gradually mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips, then pour cookie dough out into greased baking dish and smooth over the top.
- If using, lightly sprinkle a pinch of sea salt evenly over the cookie dough, then place baking dish in oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cookie bar is golden brown and the edges have begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before slicing into bars.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas And Their Pod