Who doesn’t love warm, cheesy breadsticks? We have searched high and low for the perfect breadstick recipe that is soft and fluffy on the inside, with just a hint of crisp on the outside. This one hits the spot every single time! Don’t be intimidated by using yeast for the dough – it’s really quite simple, and beats store bought dough by a landslide.
Whether you serve these breadsticks with pizza, pasta, or just by themselves (hey, no judgment here), this recipe will not disappoint. We recommend making a double batch! If you’re feeling adventurous, try your hand at this copycat recipe of Papa John’s style garlic butter dip!
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
45 min to prepare serves 6-8
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and grease a 9x13 baking sheet with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large bowl and stir until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine water and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, or until very warm to the touch.
- Add water and oil mixture to the flour bowl, along with the egg white. Beat the ingredients together for 3-4 minutes by hand, or 2 minutes on medium speed with a hand mixer.
- Add remaining flour in small increments, just enough for the dough to form a ball.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 5-6 minutes, or until dough springs back when lightly pressed with two fingers. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer dough onto prepared baking sheet. Spread dough to cover entire sheet. Cover and let rest for another 20 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, combine the melted butter and garlic cloves in a small bowl. When ready, brush garlic butter over dough and sprinkle with cheese and chopped parsley.
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm!
Recipe adapted from Love Bakes Good Cakes.