Sometimes you just can’t beat the wholesome comfort of a warm, savory dinner pie. And it’s nearly impossible to beat the singular natural flavor of sweet yellow corn. That’s why we’ve taken those components and joined them in this irresistible Cheddar Sweet Corn Pie.
Just placing a heaping spoonful of that savory-sweet concoction onto your plate is a pleasure, but after you take one bite of that crispy, cheesy topping with the juicy sweet pop of a kernel underneath, you’ll be hooked for life. We know we are!
We sure do love corn around here. Whether it’s plain-but-perfect corn on the cob, corn fritters, cornbread, or good ol’ creamed corn, we can see there’s good reason that corn has been a staple around the world for ages. This Corn Pie is like a cousin to corn pudding, but it’s not quite as creamy as a corn custard or fluffy as a spoon bread simply because it relies more on the sweet and juicy bite of whole kernels. (Which is definitely not a bad thing, we promise.)
And, oh my, that cheesy, crunchy breadcrumb topping… it takes it to the next level. Sweet, hearty, and just creamy enough, this is comfort food at its finest. If you want leftovers, go ahead and plan on doubling this recipe because your family will scrape that first platter clean, cross our hearts.
Sweet Corn Pie
1 hour to prepare serves 8
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (and thawed) corn kernels
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup panko or seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives, plus extra for garnish, finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a pie dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add corn, milk, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, chives, salt and pepper to the bowl with the onion and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with chili powder and paprika, then stir mixture into bowl with corn and onion until incorporated. Pour mixture into greased pie dish.
- Microwave remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Let cool slightly, then whisk together with remaining panko crumbs, cheese, and chives, and season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly sprinkle panko mixture over corn, then place pie dish in oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until corn is puffed up and edges are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes, then top with more chives or paprika. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Natural Comfort Kitchen.