A sweet, vegetable side dish is just what we like to keep sugar cravings under control as we wait for dessert! All kidding aside, this dish is sweet but not overwhelmingly so, and the root vegetables taste delightful paired with the honey and brown sugar. Root vegetables are one of our favorite choices for side dishes during the cooler parts of the year, and amping up the flavor with a little sweetness is just the way to go! For an addition to the table at an upcoming celebration or for any weeknight dinner, these parsnips will knock your socks off!
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat honey, butter and brown sugar over medium heat until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Place parsnips on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle honey mixture over the top and toss to make sure all parsnips are coated thoroughly.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, tossing halfway through to make sure vegetables cook evenly.
- Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit