So much thought goes into the foods we eat and the meals we make for our families, so it seems only right to give our furry friends the same consideration; we don’t like not knowing what goes into our dog’s store-bought food, so we decided to start making out own dog treats - like these delicious peanut butter ones!
First and foremost, make sure to check with your veterinarian to be sure of what foods your dog can have. We know our pup is fine with wholewheat flour and applesauce, so these five-ingredient biscuits were a no-brainer. Once you do that, because these treats come together super easily and are inexpensive to make, you can (continue to) spoil your dog rotten and feel confident about what your pup’s eating!
5-Ingredient Applesauce Dog Treats
Yield: depends on size of cookie cutters
- 3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour and cinnamon together in a large bowl and mix in applesauce, water and egg until fully incorporated.
- Knead mixture until a smooth dough forms, then turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and use your cookie cutter(s) to cut out treats.
- Transfer dog treats to lined baking sheets and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely before treating your pup.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes