Nothing says comfort food quite like melted cheese…preferably ooey-gooey, stringy, melted cheese. Mozzarella sticks are always a crowd favorite, but we never knew how easy they were to make at home until now. It turns out, delicious, piping hot mozzarella sticks can be yours with minimal effort—just follow our recipe!
These crunchy bites of goodness are simple to prep, and you don’t even have to worry about a giant vat of oil, since we don’t need to completely submerge our sticks. If you’re getting ready for a birthday party, a game-watching session or just an elevated movie night, definitely try these bad boys. They’ll blow you away!
Yield: About 2 dozen
- 1 (16 oz.) block pasteurized mozzarella
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- marinara sauce and/or ranch dressing, dip
- Cut your block of mozzarella into 3 1/2x1/2-inch sticks.
- In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Place beaten eggs in a separate bowl and dip your cheese sticks in the eggs.
- Drip off excess, then dredge cheese in parmesan breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly to make sure it adheres.
- Transfer sticks to a baking sheet and continue with remaining cheese. Then repeat egg dip and breadcrumb dredging a second time.
- Cover and place twice-dipped mozzarella sticks in the freezer for at least 3 hours, or until frozen.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Note: oil is hot enough when you splash water drops in it and it sizzles.
- Going 4-6 at a time, fry cheese sticks until crusts are golden brown. About 1 minute per side.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain, then serve with marinara sauce or ranch dressing; serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home