Please support this website by adding us to the whitelist in your ad blocker. Ads are what helps us bring you premium content – thank you!

Why Glass Bottles Of Maple Syrup Have Tiny Handles

These tiny handles actually have their own name and do serve a purpose, though it’s not what some may think.

There are so many modern conveniences to choose from, it is easy to see why some folks take them for granted. We try our best to remain grateful for access to good lighting and air conditioning, but sometimes we fall short! That’s why it’s always important to take a moment to stop and smell the roses. Maple syrup and its sleek bottle design are some things we definitely take for granted, but that’s about to change.

Syrup actually has a pretty incredible origin story, believe it or not. Before syrups were mass-produced, they had to be stored in large containers that were rather cumbersome to deal with. It wasn’t a convenience food like it is today.

Image by piviso from Pixabay

On the topic of syrup storage: why do some of these bottles come with handles, while others do not? It’s a common question that we are here to address, at long last. For starters, all of the French toast and waffle lovers out there can already tell you that most syrups are not created equally. The plastic bottle and corn syrups simply aren’t as good as their true maple counterparts and that’s common knowledge.

The inexpensive syrups are heavy on ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup and added food dyes. Around 70 percent of Americans actually enjoy the cheap stuff. As for the remaining 30 percent? We are syrup snobs and we do not care who judges us for it.

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

The glass bottles of pure maple syrup that we purists love come with much smaller handles. We have only recently learned that these tiny handles actually have their own name: skeuomorphs. The word may sound like a made-up insult but hear us out, please. The word is used to describe forms of prehistoric pottery. The handles are not truly needed, but they are there to remind you that this isn’t the fake syrup!

Quite frankly, we are grateful for that. They provide us with a way to separate the best syrups from the pretenders. Would you like to learn even more about the ins and outs of the syrup world? If so, please be sure to check out the video below. It’s a great watch!