Breakfast casseroles never fail to bring back childhood memories of church potlucks. Served up in disposable foil pans or a pastel colored pyrex, these dishes were typically loaded with greasy sausage and plenty of cheese. Yum. Those kinds of casseroles will always be comfort food to me, but aren’t something I want to eat on the regular. That’s where this lighter version comes in! This Turkey & Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake is still loaded with savory flavor, but won’t weigh you down quite so much. It’s also packed with protein making it the perfect meal to start the day.
Start out my brown ground turkey with plenty of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. As the meat is cooking, thinly slice a sweet potato in rounds and place them in a single layer along the bottom of a greased baking dish. Spread the cooked turkey on top and then pour the egg mixture over everything. Pop it in the oven until it’s golden brown on top and then it’s time to eat!
This dish reheats wonderfully so you can make it up at the start of the week and then not have to worry about making breakfasts every day. Feel free to throw in other veggies like onions, red pepper, or spinach to add even more flavor to the mix. Set yourself up for success this next week and give this Turkey & Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake a try!
Turkey & Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 cup cottage cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch dish.
- In a large skillet, add oil and brown turkey over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Break into small chunks and drain any excess grease.
- Peel sweet potato and slice into very thin rounds. If sliced too thickly they won’t cook through.
- Arrange sweet potato rounds in the prepared baking dish in a single layer, then top with the cooked turkey.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, and half and half. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Pour egg mixture over turkey and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm through the center.
Recipe adapted from Aimeemars.com